Daal (stewed lentils)
- 1 cup lentils, washed
- 2 chilis, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 onion diced
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon corriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground garlic
- 3 teaspoons of tomato paste, (option to squeeze out 3 quarter size rounds into the pan if using a tube.)
- 4 cups of water (you might want to add 1/4 cup later if they start to dry out.)
- Lemon and cilantro to garnish
Cook Time: 50-60 min
Dice 1 whole onion and set aside, (watch the fingers, I caught mine in the video, oops!)
Slice chili in 1/2, set aside
In a large stock pot combine olive oil, diced onion, seasonings, chili peppers, garlic and ginger.
Let them combine and sauté for about 5 - 7 minutes.
While everything is cooking in the pot, rinse your lentils thoroughly, add into the pot and cook for about 2 minutes
Add 4 cups of water and stir once and put the lid on.
Allow the lentils to cook for about 20 minutes and stir again. Check after another 15 and they should be firming up. (If you like your lentils more soupy this would be a good time to take them off, if you want a thicker consistency cook for about 5 - 10 minutes more.)
Enjoy right now with some fresh squeezed lemon and cilantro or portion out for later to eat throughout the week!